Prompted to Write

Prompted to Write is a blog for writers - professional, amateur, and for anyone who wants to take a stab at writing. The blog is produced and edited by Nicky Pitman, the Authors Advocate. Writing prompts will be posted once a week, and whomever reads them can write and post their responses for others to read. If you are self-prompted and want to share your work - please post it here on this blog.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Prompted by Pets

Use one of the following titles, cliches, or phrases to inspire a poem, short story, or stream of conciousness rant or rave (or use your very own pet to inspire a creative burst ):

That's me and my pup on the right. Her name is Love (I didn't name her - I adopted her when she was three years old) - and she's a bundle of it! She has inspired me several times over to write short stories. You can check one out in the commments section on this post.

"Dog Day Afternoon"
"It's raining cats and dogs"
"Cat got your tongue?"
"My dogs are barking."
"The Truth About Cats and Dogs"
"Must Love Dogs"

1 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Down To Earth Fare said...

A Moral Dilemma

To pick up or not to pick up? Dog poop, that is. The obvious (and law-abiding) answer is: pick up! Of course! But do I always? I hate, loathe, am ashamed to admit that sometimes, sometimes…I don’t. I have every intention to. Really. I have my plastic bag- ready and able…but sometimes, sometimes I just don’t want to…or don’t feel like it.
I mean, how bad is it for me to not pick up my dog’s poop? Bad! It’s bad, bad, bad- I know!!! But it’s not like breaking one of the Ten Commandments, is it? I’ve never seen (engraved in an ancient tablet) “Though shalt not leave one’s dog poop on public property or someone else’s lawn”, have you? Oh, I know what you’re thinking: “that’s just an excuse for irresponsible behavior”- and you’re right! It is! May God smite me, or smote me, or smoot me, or whatever the correct verbiage is in such a case. I don’t know why I sometimes don’t pick up, or think about not picking it up…Like today, for example: I was walking the dog, bag ready, and she went ahead and stopped and took a dump- a small one (in case you were wondering). I had a momentary thought of “Uhhgh- I so do not want to pick this up!” But vanity, or guilt, or God intervened by having me note that there was a person sitting on the other side of the street watching me, and that there was no way I was not going to pick up that poop that instant!
Now don’t get the wrong impression here: I am a firm believer in picking up poop (God knows- I wouldn’t want someone to leave their dog’s defects (not the right word, but the alliteration’s nice, don’t you agree?) on my lawn. And, more typically than not, I am a pooper-picker-upper. But sometimes- sometimes: I just don’t want to pick up the poop!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home