Prompted to Write

Prompted to Write is a blog for writers - professional, amateur, and for anyone who wants to take a stab at writing. The blog is produced and edited by Nicky Pitman, the Authors Advocate. Writing prompts will be posted once a week, and whomever reads them can write and post their responses for others to read. If you are self-prompted and want to share your work - please post it here on this blog.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Ready, Set - Write!

Writing has always been a huge outlet for me- creatively, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. About two years ago, I began the practice of responding to writing prompts as a means of igniting my creativity and imagination when both seemed to escape me; as a way to get started on a project or to continue a project where I felt stuck; and I used the prompts just for the sheer pleasure of writing.

Writing prompts can be anything - a beginning of a sentence, a phrase, a feeling, a picture, a style/genre, an impulse, a thought, a reaction - anything that will get you (or me) started. As far as writing goes.

My experience with writing prompts began with a creativity workshop I took two years ago with Jill Badonsky, M.Ed (link). Jill wrote a book entitled The Nine Modern Day Muses (and a Bodyguard): 10 Guides to Creative Inspiration for Artists, Poets, Lovers, and Other Mortals Wanting to Live a Dazzling Existence, and the workshop was based on the book. Writing prompts were a big part of the class. And I loved them!

I continued using prompts through an online writing club (also run by Jill), through books, and from my own internal and external experiences. Over the past couple of years, whenever I'm prompted, I write! In fact, some of my best work has come when I thought I had nothing to write - when I thought the prompt "did nothing" for me.

What I have discovered through the prompts is freedom. Freedom to express myself in the moment and to enjoy the process rather than worry about the product. Writing has been a gift I have given myself- the gift of time to actually do it and the gift of allowing myself to explore any thought, feeling, or idea that comes to me in any way that it comes.

This blog is for you (and for me) to have a place to explore - any thought feeling and/or idea, and have a place to express and share those things. Think of it as a playground (except that it's on your computer screen, two-dimensional, and there are no swing sets or sand pails - except the ones you conjure up and create for yourself) - a place to play freely. To have fun. To dream.

Let this be a cool, fun, safe space for writers of all levels to share .

I'll provide prompts twice weekly. Write and respond as much as you'd like. Also feel free to post any creative writings you'd like. If you ever want feedback - supportive and constructive feedback - let us know.

So, write, post, read, and write on!

1 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger C.A. Scott said...

Cool blog concept Nikki. I remember a couple of college writing classes that used writing prompts to great effect. The best thing about them is that, even for people with no dearth of ideas, these kinds of exercises make us think in directions we might not have otherwise.

One of my favorites was in a journalistic feature-writing class: Write a paragraph describing something distasteful -- but without making it all grody and stuff. Makes you really stretch your descriptive ability.

--CAS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home